Raleigh DWI Lawyer: Statistics and Facts Regarding DWIs:
Welcome back. In our last post we began talking about DWI convictions and the statistics and facts that go along with it. If you’ve been convicted of a DWI charge, you aren’t alone. Many people find themselves in the same situation. Below, our Raleigh DWI lawyer offers more DWI statistics and facts, according to MADD.org:
- Every day in America, another 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes.
- In 2012, 10,322 people died in drunk driving crashes - one every 51 minutes
- Drunk driving involvement in fatal crashes in 2011 was 4.5 times higher at night than during the day (36 versus 8 percent).
- In 2011, 15 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the week were drunk, compared to 31 percent on weekends.
- In 2011, 226 children were killed in drunk driving crashes. Of those, 122 (54% percent) were riding with the drunk driver.
- Impairment is not determined by the type of drink, but rather by the amount of alcohol drunk over time.
- A standard drink is defined as 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, which contain the same amount of alcohol.
- The average person metabolizes alcohol at the rate of about one drink per hour.
- Males were more likely than females (15.1 vs. 7.9 percent) to drive drunk.
- In fatal crashes in 2011, the highest percentage of drunk drivers was for drivers ages 21 to 24 (32 percent), followed by ages 25 to 34 (30 percent) and 35 to 44 (24 percent).
- About one-third of all drivers arrested or convicted of drunk driving are repeat offenders.
- Over 1.2 million drivers were arrested in 2011 for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
Klish and Eldreth | Lawyer in Raleigh NC
As we approach the holiday season, a time where DWIs spike, it’s important to ensure there’s a designated driver in the crowd. No one wants to face a DWI charge. If you happen to have violated the law, and find yourself charged with a DWI, please feel free to contact our law office. Our Raleigh DWI lawyer will work with you during this time of stress and uncertainty.